Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Casa Wittgenstein

Philosopher Ludwig Wittgensteinwith architect Paul Engelmann -Haus Wittgenstein, Vienna 1928. ViaMargherita Spiluttini.

Designed for Wittgenstein's sister over the course of three years, Wittgenstein's obsession with the project gradually overtook Engelmann's control, as the philosopher insisted on designing every detail including the corner radiators, the 330lb window screens, and door hardware (which reportedly took a year). Months before the project was scheduled to open, Wittgenstein demanded the ceiling be raised 30mm to achieve a proper proportion. Despite the meticulous design, upon completion the philosopher's sister found she couldn't inhabit the space:

"Even though I admired the house very much, I always knew that I neither wanted to, nor could, live in it myself. It seemed indeed to be much more a dwelling for the gods than for a small mortal like me."








No comments:

Post a Comment